In 2009 the WaterlaseMD was introduced into the Institute of Dental Implants & Periodontics. This state-of-the-art YSGG laser has changed the way that we have traditionally undertaken a number of surgical procedures in both surgical periodontics and implant dentistry.
The Waterlase MD is a product of Biolase Technologies based in Irvine, CA, USA. There are a number of clinical applications for which the laser can be used including:
- Incision, excision, vaporization, ablation and coagulation of oral soft tissues
- Excisional and incisional biopsies
- Exposure of unerupted teeth
- Fibroma removal
- Flap preparation - incision of soft tissue to prepare a flap and expose the bone.
- Frenectomy and frenotomy
- Gingival troughing for crown impressions
- Incision and drainage of abscesses
- Removal of pathological tissues from around the apex
- Soft tissue crown lengthening
- Sulcular debridement
- Treatment of canker sores, herpetic and aphthous ulcers of the oral mucosa
- Flap preparation -- incision of soft tissue to prepare a flap and expose unerupted teeth (hard and soft tissue impactions)
The WaterLase MD allows us to undertake certain surgical procedures traditionally undertaken with a scalpel. There is no need for stitches and no bleeding during the surgery. Healing is very quick and thanks to this minimally invasive laser which minimizes tissue trauma and subsequent inflammation.