In 2009 the WaterlaseMD was introduced into the Institute of Dental Implants & Periodontics. This state-of-the-art YSGG laser has changed the way that we have traditionally undertaken a number of surgical procedures in both surgical periodontics and implant dentistry. To keep with advances in laser development we introduced the newly developed iPlus with even more advanced features than the WaterlaseMD.
The Waterlase iPlus is a specialised dental laser of Biolase Technologies based in Irvine, CA, USA. There are a number of clinical applications for which the laser can be used including:
- Incision, excision, vaporization, ablation and coagulation of oral soft tissues
- Excisional and incisional biopsies
- Exposure of unerupted teeth
- Fibroma removal
- Flap preparation - incision of soft tissue to prepare a flap and expose the bone.
- Frenectomy and frenotomy
- Gingival troughing for crown impressions
- Incision and drainage of abscesses
- Removal of pathological tissues from around the apex
- Hard and Soft tissue crown lengthening
- Orthodontic tooth exposure
- Sulcular debridement, Laser assisted periodontal (gum) pocket treeatment
- Treatment of canker sores, herpetic and aphthous ulcers of the oral mucosa
- Flap preparation -- incision of soft tissue to prepare a flap and expose unerupted teeth (hard and soft tissue impactions)
The WaterLase iPlus allows us to undertake certain surgical procedures traditionally undertaken with a scalpel. There is no need for stitches and no bleeding during the surgery. Healing is very quick and thanks to this minimally invasive laser which minimizes tissue trauma and subsequent inflammation.